A case of BSE has been confirmed at a farm in Aberdeenshire. Rural Economy Secretary Fergus Ewing said a movement ban was now in place on the unnamed farm. Investigations are under way to identify the origin of the disease - the first in Scotland in
The FSA is using a blockchain system for the first time in the food sector to track the distribution of meat in a cattle slaughterhouse, in the hope that the nascent technology will make it easier to safely keep track of beef supplies.
China has ended a two-decades-long ban on exports of beef from the UK, first introduced after the outbreak of BSE in the 1990s. The government said the development will be worth £250m to British producers over the next five years.
Texas Naturals Meats is recalling almost 500 pounds of raw frozen ground beef that was produced almost a year ago because its own tests this week returned positive results for E. coli O103.
Australia’s export beef brands command impressive price tags of up to $120 a kilogram in the booming Chinese marketplace, but just half the Aussie-branded beef on offer actually originates from Australia.
British retail giant Marks and Spencer has announced a new campaign that “shines a spotlight” on its beef traceability standards.
We – the Food Standards Agency, Food Standards Scotland and representatives of the meat industry across the UK – met to discuss concerns arising from the recent examples of non-compliance with food hygiene regulations
More big firms have been caught up in the problems of meat supplier Russell Hume. Hilton Hotels said that a "small number" of its hotels have disposed of products from the meat supplier. Derby-based Russell Hume is the subject of an investigation by
More than 10,000 Northern Irish cattle have been reported stolen or lost in just three years – with cross-border smuggling thought to be one of the main causes.
The Irish beef industry is dependent on exports to stay afloat. This comes as only 10% of all beef cattle slaughtered in Ireland are consumed domestically; the remaining 90% are exported.
n investigation into the sale of unregistered meat on social media was recently carried out by the State’s food safety body which said it is increasingly seeing suspected cases of food fraud.
AN Irish food safety firm has secured a lucrative £15 million contract to provide DNA based traceability for all Swiss beef. IdentiGEN has secured the major Switzerland contract for a initial five-year period and involves the use of the company's DNA
A beef cow-calf operation is on notice from the Food and Drug Administration because of the presence of three drugs in edible tissue samples collected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Testing showed residue of one drug at more than 8,000 percen
The European response to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) after the crisis of the 1980s has significantly reduced prevalence of the disease in cattle. However, isolated cases are still being reported in the EU and for this reason the European
The European Union (EU) meat industry has expressed disappointment over the decision by Russia to extend its ban on EU exports of meat and meat products by 18 months, but is optimistic that producers will continue finding alternative markets.
IFA National Livestock Chairman, Angus Woods met the EU Commissioner for Health and Food Safety Vytenis Andriukaitis in Dublin recently. Mr Woods said the EU Commission Food and Veterinary Office (FVO) had undertaken a number of investigations on sta
The beef industry has received a significant boost following the announcement that Northern Ireland has achieved negligible risk status for BSE.
Notification of the risk classification upgrade to negligible risk status – the safest level - was confir
Northern Ireland meat processor Finnebrogue Artisan has secured a £2M deal with Asda to supply the supermarket with premium own-label sausages. The new contact will see the manufacturer supply ‘Extra Special Light & Lean’ sausages to 350 stores acros
Spanish police have arrested and charged 14 people with fraud, and breaching consumer rights, following accusations that a Spanish meat company has been selling low-quality beef burgers with incorrect labeling. Some burgers were found with under 25%
Brazil is tracing around 5,000 shipping containers that contain meat products, to determine if the meat has come from any factories under investigation.