IGFS is to host a doctoral training programme in partnership with Belfast-based international agri-tech company Devenish, offering two PhD studentships in research areas at the cutting edge of agri-food innovation. The Devenish Doctoral Training Programme offers four-year PhD studentships. We are seeking enthusiastic students to join this dynamic programme, which will develop the skills needed to tackle research challenges across all of the Devenish Core Research Areas.
Each student will receive Professional Skills Development training within Devenish Nutrition; Biosciences Skills Development training within IGFS; and Personal Development and Transferable Skills training within the QUB Graduate School. Years 2-4 will focus on the PhD Research Project.
Applications are sought across a wide remit with particular focus on the following Devenish Core Research Areas:
- Soil health & sustainability management.
- Optimised Animal Nutrition: e.g. the efficiency, health and function of the animal digestive processes; the use of targeted delivery systems for nutrients.
- Optimised Human Nutrition: e.g. maximising the nutritive value of animal derived foods for human consumption.
- Technology Systems for sustainable agriculture: e.g. sensor development; improving receipt of real time, quality data from animals or the environment.
- The final title for the PhD Project will be agreed during Year 1 of the Programme.
We invite applications from Science graduates who have, or expect to obtain, a first or upper second class degree and have a strong interest in one of the Core Research Areas. The opportunity is open to Home, EU and International applicants.
The Studentships will be fully funded by Devenish. Each studentship will be for four years and will commence 1st October 2019.The stipend will be a minimum £17,000 for 2019/20.
Deadline for applications
The closing date for applications is 29 March with interview in April.
How to apply
Candidates must submit an application via the University’s Direct Applications Portal. All successful applicants will be registered with the School of Biological Sciences (select when submitting application) for the duration of the degree programme